Sewing and improvising babycarriers
$ in front of an item indicates that the item has a cost. All others are free!
- Samantha Lane's sling Step by step photo instructions for a lightly padded sling with closed tail. (Large pdf file.)
- Bravepages adjustable sling - open tail.
- Angie's padded sling - thick padding, closed tail, elasticated rails. (Page down past the suggestions to get to the pattern.)
- Lydia's padded sling has padded, elasticated rails, padded shoulder, closed tail--second pattern is the padded one(at Lydias-legacy.com). Note that the first pattern on this page is for an unpadded sling, an old version of Reverend Jan's (Sleeping Baby) unpadded sling pattern.
- $Elizabeth Lee pattern - open tail
- $Sew Creative! pattern - thick padding, sewn tail. Pattern includes rings.
Doll sling/Children's slings
- MamaToto's wrap carrier how to choose fabric to sew (or not sew) a fleece, woven or knit wrap (at Mamatoto.org).
- Sleeping Baby's Ring Wrap Reverend Jan has come up with a unique hybrid between a ring sling and a wrap carrier using rings at the back.
- Gypsy Mama's no-sew Poncho A poncho that you can make in less than an hour, designed for wearing your baby front, back or hip. Best made with fleece or other non-ravelling fabric.
- Jacket zipper panel Instructions to make a zipper panel to expand a normal jacket to fit during pregnancy or with a baby being worn on front.
- $Elizabeth Lee's nursing coat with zip-in baby panel.
- Sewing reviews for retail sewing patterns, including the Elizabeth Lee patterns linked above as well as sewing machine reviews. (See menu on the left.) A great site!
- TheBabyWearer.com's DIY forum This is a discussion place for anyone who sews babycarriers or related products to talk about projects, ask questions etc. You need to be logged in to access the forums.
- Reviews of DIY babywearing products This is where other DIYers have reviewed products related to making your own babycarriers-sling rings, patterns etc. Also a good place to find sources for many of these products. You need to be logged in to access the reviews. Please submit your own reviews too!
Last updated 16 November 2007
© Jennifer Norton, 2007. All rights reserved.